Bob joined Sigma Partners in 1995 and has over 30 years of experience in the high technology industry. His ability to identify and motivate innovative founding teams has been an essential ingredient of his investment success. Bob regularly leverages his deep operational experience and technology intellect to support the firm’s portfolio companies.
Prior to joining Sigma Partners, Bob was President & CEO of Epoch Systems, the leading vendor of client-server data management software . He sold the firm in 1993 to EMC for $141 million. Previously, he was the Founder, President and CEO of SQL Solutions, a leading purveyor of services and tools for the relational database market. Bob sold SQL Solutions to Sybase for stock eventually worth over $100 million. Bob served as an executive officer of Sybase for over two years. In recent years, Bob has appeared five times on the Forbes’ Midas list, a ranking of top venture capitalists. He also appeared on the cover of Business Week in a features story describing how VCs thrive through good and tough times. He is also an avid musician.
- Boston Globe: “Legendary Hub venture investor, musician works on his next hit”
- “2009 AlwaysOn Venture Capital 100 List”
- “Venture Spotlight: Bob Davoli, Sigma Partners”
- “Bob Davoli in Forbes 2003 Midas List Top 25”
- “Dealmakers with the Midas Touch”
- “How a VC Does It”
- “Supplanting [Software] Technologies: Maximizing Market Dynamics to Gain Competitive Advantage (unpublished)”
Bob has a B.A. in History from Ricker College and studied computer science at Northeastern University for two years.